Friday, January 9, 2015

Pumped for 2015




La Multi Ani Familia si Prietenii!!!
Happy New Year! Dang 2015, wow. I will spend this entire year here in Romania and I am so PUMPED for it! This week was great but every week is great so I will elaborate. 
Here new year's eve is called Revelion. The district wanted to go out to a restaurant and have a nice little dinner to celebrate but every single restaurant in Ploiesti was closed... except for one... McDonald's I was a litlle bummed. But I got a mcflurry so it was okay. We had to be inside at 9 o'clock so it was pretty quiet. At 12 we went up to the roof of our block and WOW. They were fireworks EVERYWHERE they were being sent off from all over the city. We could see like 20 different sets of them from our bloc. It was gorgeous, it was also freezing but it was so cool. Everyone was out on the street, I told Sora B we should go do some contacting, I have never seen so many people in one place before. Sora B said no because contacting drunk people is not effective. Which is probably true. Standing on top of that bloc watching the fireworks was one of those Holy cow I am in Romania moments. I am so grateful to be here. I fall more in love with the people and culture everyday. No matter where I live for the rest of my life Romania will always hold a very special place in my heart. I might even root for them in the Olympics.
So no one really wanted to meet with this week on New Years Day the streets were empty, it was super eerie. But we did get to go have lunch with a member so that was fun. Then we went to Brasov by train for exchanges. 
Brasov is so beautiful I will go skiing there someday. It is kind of the Park City of Romania. I exchanged with Sora Robertson. I was super fun we went and visited a family where the mom is a less active member that has just recently started coming back to church. I prayed super hard all day for the gift tongues. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of Sora Robertson with my weak language scales. When we got into the lesson I was understanding most of what she was saying and then I was able to bear my testimony of the power of setting goals. I was so cool. The language is still really difficult but Heavenly Father is aware of my heart and my desire to understand and communicate with these people.
Also on Sunday we got to church and it was FREEZING inside the church building. Everyone was walking around with all their layers on and Romanians where a lot of layers. Turns out the pipe had burst underneath the chapel, all the tile had gotten torn up going straight through the middle of the chapel. So we made like a little square with chairs all around the torn up area and we had fast and testimony meeting. Every fast Sunday I am blown away by the strength of the members here. You know those people in the states that have super cool conversion stories and everyone asks them to do firesides? Well that is like every member here. It's nuts. At the end President Musat stood up and said "Always remember this day, when you came to a chapel without heat and the heat of your soul was enough" super cheesy but very sweet as well.
Family and friends, I know this gospel is true, to quote my dear cousin Elder Clyde "I would not be doing this if it wasn't" The gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives. After we are baptized we have the opportunity to receive the Holy Ghost. I know that when we have the Holy Ghost with us and when we are striving to let him guide our lives we will be at peace with ourselves and we can go forth with confidence. No matter the challenges that beset us through the power of the Holy Ghost we can learn to become better sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. Through the power of the Atonement we can change. This year I want to become, everyday I want to become better, a better missionary, a better daughter, a better sister, a better friend. I love you all so much!
Here's to an INCREDIBLE year!
Sora Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment